Manchester United may have made a breakthrough in their search for a new manager as Erik Ten Hag has reportedly been interviewed for the upcoming job in the summer. United had drawn up a potential four-man shortlist to take over on a long-term basis in the summer when Ralf Rangnick’s temporary deal expires. However, they had been urged to make a late push for Thomas Tuchel following the sanctions imposed at Chelsea.
But reports of a Chelsea raid appear wide of the mark as Ten Hag has now reportedly been interviewed by United bosses, meaning that they may have chosen their new manager. The news will come as a blow to Mauricio Pochettino, Luis Enrique and Julen Lopetegui who are also said to be in contention.
According to the Daily Mail, the 52-year-old spoke to United on Monday and the Dutchman is now considered to be the overriding favourite to take charge in the summer. Ten Hag has been linked with a move to the Premier League for some time, and was even turned down by Tottenham last summer.
The Dutchman was interviewed to be Jose Mourinho’s replacement at Spurs, but in a brutal assessment they said he lacked charisma, although things haven’t worked out too badly for them with Antonio Conte now in charge. But Tottenham’s loss could be United’s gain, and since his summer snub Ten Hag has been taking advanced English lessons.
Following his Tottenham rejection, Ten Hag seemed to make a U-turn on his future as he signed a new deal at Ajax, but 12 months later it seems he wants out and United may have identified him as their man. The Dutchman is currently leading Ajax to another league title, but they too were knocked out of the Champions League at the same stage as United.